Monday, December 07, 2009

Remembering Our Country Christmas

[note: this story was written by my sister Esther]

My sister Marion Elizabeth and I have been trying to remember some of our Mother's recipes that were so very good. We always had great birthday cakes and her pies were the best. As much as we helped in the kitchen as she was making them, we did not really know all she put in the mixing bowl as she had us getting the sugar out and measuring it for her and the amount of flour she needed or the baking powder or soda required to make our favorite deserts for the evening meal.

It was when I was in high school that I wanted to learn her recipes, especially the ones I loved for her to make at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. I know she used the Heresy cocoa recipe on the box for Devils Food Cake. That was my favorite. Then she would put Seven Minute Frosting on top of the three layers she made and covered the top and sides with lots of shredded coconut to help keep her hands clean when she would cut it and serve it to the plate.

But it was the burnt sugar cake recipe I would love to have again. She did not have a recipe to go by; it seems she knew it by heart and did not need to write it down, so I never knew where she got that one from. It was a very good caramel tasting cake.

There are so many more that have been forgetten and that is a loss. When Marion Elizabeth and I would try to think back to those times, we both decided to write the ones we could in the cook book so our children would have the ones they might like to have in their files.

One time, my Mother and my sister Marion Elizabeth decided to see who could make the best lemon pie. They only had two judges: my Father and brother. Of course Dad had to say Mom’s was the best and our brother said he thought Mom’s had just a bit more lemon flavor to her pie, but that in his opinion they were both great tasting lemon pies. Since I was not there for the competition, when I came to visit they both made another set of pies so I could judge too. Mom did have a good pie. So did my sister but I had to say Mom could still cook.

I remember her mince meat pies. They were so good and so were her pumpkin pies which she served with real whip cream. She never made less than a half dozen pies and lots of different cakes. The cookies were also great at Christmas time. Her ginger bread boys and girls were one of my favorite. Mom made happy faces on her boys and girls.

Several days before Christmas, Mom would pop some popcorn. Everyone would sit around with threaded needles and string pop corn and red cranberries to make garlands to hang on the tree that Dad would bring home. We ate as much or more as we were stringing them. Marion had Jerry, Dick and me on the floor pasting together color paper rings to use as garlands also.

At the holiday time, a lot of our relatives would come to spend Christmas with us and bring their children. Relatives made the holiday seasons a lot nicer for me. Aunt Nettie had a brand new baby girl and she was a joy to hold and watch her babble trying to talk. She was adorable and Aunt Nettie let me watch her if I would not try to pick her up.

First thing Dad did when he brought the tree into the house was to string the lights around the tree. Marion and Adeline and Mickey put on the ornaments Mom and Dad had from past Christmases. With Mom’s cooking and the tree the house began to smell just like Christmas. There was cinnamon and cookies and hot chocolate with marshmallows.

And every Christmas Eve Dad would read the story of baby Jesus and tell us that we celebrated his birthday and we should all think of him at that time.

When it was time to go to bed, we would hang our stockings on the mantle. It was hard to think about going to sleep with so many different smells in the house. Cinnamon and nutmeg and a pine tree.

We all wanted it to snow on Christmas Day. Those were the best Christmases. There is nothing better than to get up and see the white snow all over the place. A winter land is so lovely and clean and a picture post card scene.

Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows


[editor's note: MrsB's Recipes Vol 1 can be found in the Download Section to the left]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WANT SOME!

Lemon Pie YUMMM!
Gingerbread YUMMM!
Hot Chocolate MORE YUMMM!

(nomnomnomnom) (eating noises)

Anonymous said...

Once again ... you tell your story so vividly that I am there too! .. I can even smell the wonderful odors and aromas .. and gee, I'd sure love to try all those baked cakes, pies and cookies .. this is truly the description of a real old fashioned Christmas - why I can see a Norman Rockwell painting or Hallmark card - its so real, I can even feel the chill of the snow covered scenery outside ... what a wonderful story.... thanks for sharing !!

I hope you have as joyous and happy a holiday this year as those you describe... Merry Christmas, and a Happy - and prosperous - New Year!!

You 'favorite' secret admirer ...