Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Frog Legs Story [story 3] by Esther

[Editor's note: This story was written by my Aunt Esther]

When Vernon came home from serving in the Navy after the WWII, we were married and we made the trip to his home in Baton Rouge. The difference in foods was a big change for me. He never once asked for a special dish and he would eat everything I cook. He may not of wanted it again, but was always ready to try a new dish. His Mother was one to teach me some if his favorite dishes. I did love her Jambalaya and her corn soup.

One thing Vernon did was to hunt game. In California, he loved to hunt deer. We lived on the mountain top and in the Red Wood trees. He went hunting when he wanted some deer. My brother Abby and him would take several sandwiches and a thermal bottle of hot coffee and off they would go to satisfy their desire for venison. If they came back with good luck, Mom would call every one to come and eat with us. I only wish I had known how to make Jambalaya with the left over venison then!

Back in Baton Rouge, I learned rice was the first thing on the plate. Then the meat and most often the beans were on top and I can tell you it was very good to eat. The only thing I ever added to the plate was corn bread, hot out of the oven. The only vegetable served was fresh tomatoes and sliced cucumbers.

Vernon also like to eat frog legs. Since I had never eaten any before, I was not too eager to try them, but you can’t be in the kitchen, smelling them frying and then not try a bite, as they are so very good. Served with French Fries and Hush Puppies, it's a meal you won’t forget.

I can’t say I wanted to go out to catch them with Vernon. He went in the night time with a head light and a battery and a gig to grab the frog with and put them in the gunny sack, till he had enough to have a good meal.

It so happened that my Mom and Dad and brother Abby came by from Florida on their way back to California. I had just started to fry the frog legs and I told Mom the supper would be ready soon. Vernon told her the meat was chicken and I got worried, as Mom did not like to be told one thing and then find out it was something else.

All went well and Mom asked if she could make some Hush Puppies, and that sounded good to me but I wasn't sure what they were. Mom said they are like corn bread. To this day, I have loved her Hush Puppies and added them to any fish fry we served since. And Mom did not get too upset when she found out they were frog legs instead of chicken legs.

To prepare the frog legs to fry I would mix fish fry, which is corn ground to a fine flour like meal. I found this to be better than just cornmeal as it picks up less oil while frying and it would seal to the meat faster then just plain cornmeal. I then added salt, pepper and onion powder with some hot red pepper. Then you start heating the oil and when it’s ready, add the frog legs and cook till nicely brown. Next do batches of French Fry potatoes and batches of Hush Puppies 'till you have enough to start eating.

We did not have too many frog leg dinners. But we sure did enjoy the ones we had. They were not something we could freeze. They were better when they were fresh.

I also love to eat fresh filet of fish. When I cooked it myself, I only used boneless filets from fish that Vernon caught. Boneless filets are also better for young children. If Vernon didn't catch it, we would eat it at a restaurant.

Wash and dry the fish. Rub a little dill mustard over both sides of the fish. Season to taste. Dip in to Butter milk. Roll in fish fry and pecans, chopped fine. Fry in hot oil and serve with French Fries and Hush Puppies, along with corn cooked with strips of bell peppers. To increase the flavor of the Hush Puppies, add some finely chopped onions to the batter.

Another variation is to bake the fish. Prepare the fish as above, and spray Pam on a pan and with the oven heated to 375 bake the fish till it is nicely browned , turn over and brown the other side. The fish will almost have a good crunchy crust like it was fried.
A baked potato is great, plus a good salad will make a great meal but if French Fried potatoes are what you really want, the frozen ones will be good in the oven also.

Thinking about how good the fish was, I am ready to go find a good restaurant to eat some good fried fish and French Fries with some Hush Puppies. If I ever get back to Houston, I know my Sister Marion will tell her son, we want to go to a sea food house and off we will go to enjoy the best the house can offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story!

It reminds me of the time I went into a local cafe and I asked the waitress if she had frogs legs.... and without missing a beat she said "no sir, I just walk like this" .... I laughed till I got an ache in my side!

Keep'em coming!