Monday, September 06, 2010

Sewing

I seem to be spending my waking hours in an ameliorative state... I realized the other day that most of my interests and activities require pursuing some form of further practice, study and/or correction as in my latest project, sewing.

When my sister, Esther, asked if I would like a couple of muumuus like the ones she planned to make for her self using a McCalls pattern, I quickly accepted her offer. Esther is an accomplished seamstress having made clothes for her daughters, son and husband and I knew whatever she made on her sewing machine would be a delight to wear.

I volunteered to do the finishing of the muumuus she cut out for me if it would save her time and energy and she agreed to mail them to me after she did the basic fitting and cutting. Within a couple of days, they arrived at the post office and when I opened the package, I saw two beautiful muumuus, one a light green eyelet, the other blue with flowers. All I had to do was sew the pockets in the side seams of each. Simple, right?

I never thoroughly learned to operate my sewing machine. I do know how to turn it on and off, thread it and fill a bobbin, how to cut fabric using a pattern, but learning basic sewing 101 never got on my list of things to do, consequently, I never learned the tips that make sewing easy, but hey, side pockets don’t show and I can sew a straight seam.

I wasn’t the least perturbed about sewing pockets and after pinning the pieces and threading the machine, I began sewing. When I finished, I discovered the pockets had not been properly inserted, and I’d have to do some ripping. I spent the next 2 ½ hours undoing what I had just sewn in a few minutes.

Before sewing the pockets again I googled for directions on the internet. The videos showing how to sew pockets in side seams was so helpful, my spirits spiked and off I went to do a bang up job, determined to equal Esther’s talent.  Again, I pinned and sewed, only to discover I had attached one pocket upside down and would have to rip again.

I was forced to suffer the reality of my inadequacy once again, but I eventually got the pockets inserted in the right place and in the right manner. The fact that I had spent approximately 4 hours on a sewing job that should have taken about 20 minutes is something I plan never divulge to my loving sister.

No comments: