Saturday, April 09, 2011

He’s My Grandfather by Esther

[Editor's note: This story was written by Esther]

Taffy was about two and maybe three years old and she was an easy going child when she had company come to spend time with her. She loved to share all her toys with them. Her favorite toy was the set of poker chips her Uncle Jerry gave her. He had come to spend several days with us. And Taffy would watch him and her father Vernon, play cards and she wanted to play with them. It was not long before Jerry knew he had lost them and gave them to her.

Of course he also knew he had to leave some of his stuff with me as he wanted to make several trips he had plans for and when he was ready to head back home he could collect everything and head out for other parts of the country. He did like to travel Loved seeing other places, and why not , as he was foot loose and free to go. As long as the money held out.

Taffy treasured her poker chips. She would roll them, stack them, and put them back in the tote tray they came in. She was so fascinated with them and spent hours with them. She learn to count with them.

Taffy loved to go places too. One of her favorite places, was going to see her Grand Parents at the Sky Ranch. She was going to stay with Grandma while Vernon and I went shopping.

Mom loved having the grandchildren. And seeing Marion there and found out she was leaving Skippy there too, made it quite nice for Taffy, as she had her play mate to spend the day with her too.

Skippy was Marion’s son. He was about four and maybe a bit more, and I loved that child as if he was my own. When ever Marion would let me keep him , I would bundle him up and head for home and he was a wonderful child to have. He had red hair and was a happy baby. Even Vernon liked having him around and loved having them walk up and down his back.

When Vernon and I got back to pick up Taffy, it was a shock to know Taffy had taken a two by four length of wood and hit Skippy over the head and knock him out. I just could not believe Taffy ever could be that angry to any one. But Dad and Mom both assured me she had done it. Taffy did not deny it.

Dad had said he heard the children arguing over his hat in the front room The hat was the source of the problem. It seems the hat started the argument. Taffy or Skippy made the statement, “ that hat belongs to my Grandfather “ and Taffy said, “ No that is “ My Grandfather’s hat. “ And to this day, I am not too sure either one of them have changed their mind.

Where did Taffy get the two by four? This was the time Dad was building a new floor under the house which sat on top of the mountain and the back side was built over the ground on stilts and the front of the house was set on the top of the ground. So Dad and the boys were helping him do the work.

Skippy got the worse of the deal, and I was so sorry he was hurt. The Sky Ranch did hold so many good memories of good times, and this was one that every one remembers and can smile about today. Even today if I could, I would gather up Skippy and bundle him up and carry him home to spend several days of just enjoying him play and learning new games.

Poker Chips


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Story !

For some reason I feel as if I was there too ... and I cant understand why my head still hurts ... LOL - I loved the Sky Ranch too ... and for what it's worth ... I still think he IS MY gran'pa - although, I AM quite willing to share now (never underestimate the power of a 2x4 wielded by an upset cousin!! -ROFL) -

Good Story ... glad you wrote it for us to share again ...

Signed 'Skippy'