Saturday, May 07, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

On many long ago Mother's Day mornings, my children would surprise me with breakfast in bed. They came bearing a tray with enough food to feed a lumberjack; sometimes the cereal would be soggy, and the toast slightly burnt, but with great expectations they waited breathlessly for me to take my first bite then pass judgment on their cooking.

Of course I always managed to express my amazement at such a wonderful breakfast tray, all the while wondering just what kind of mess the kitchen might be in. Those lovely memories are locked away in my heart forever and sometimes I take them out and pass them in review.

As the years passed we celebrated Mother's Day in many ways, often going out for brunch at a popular eatery. When Mom and Dad were still with us, I often served a large family dinner with brothers and sisters and their spouses attending. Those too are memories precious to me and I often share them with my sister Esther, when we reminisce about days gone by.

I'm celebrating this year with gifts of two new hobbies. One is played on the computer, a membership in the game: Lord Of The Rings Online; the other: a cage with three beautiful baby parakeets which I have named Tic, Tac and Toe. I have been assured that the birds will not only talk but will sing or whistle tunes so I have been playing canary songs I found on YouTube. As for playing in LOTRO, I am a Hobbit Minstrel and learning how to ride my pony around The Shire.


At the Brandywine Bridge Canary Song


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Sounds a lot like past Mothers Day's I recall too .. very touching! Thank you.