Saturday, August 03, 2013

Crossword Puzzle Words

As I worked a crossword puzzle, I came across a word ending in "erer". As I wrote e,r,e,r in the blank squares of the puzzle book, I realized that I rarely use or spell a word ending in those letters. They seemed strangers to my every day vocabulary.

Wondering how many words I could think of with this ending, I spent a few hours listing the words I could think of, but when I got stumped I resorted to duckduckgo.com for an answer. The computer kept thinking I was asking about "ere', but with persistence, I was astonished to discover 168 words ending in "erer".

As an avid mystery book reader, I can't believe I missed thinking of the word "murderer"!



Arthur Wynne Inventor of the Modern Crossword
Arthur Wynne
Inventor of the modern crossword puzzle 1913

No comments: