Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Tomatoes

Its tomato plantin' time again, but I don't think I'll bother planting any this year.

The beautiful ones at the market are so much nicer than the pitiful harvests my little garden usually produces. The store I shop in sells clusters of 4 or 5 vine ripened tomatoes still attached to a portion of vine. They're large, red and juicy as only perfect tomatoes can be.

They bring to mind the tomatoes my mother grew in a small kitchen garden when I was a child. I was about 8 yrs old and on warm summer mornings I would come downstairs for breakfast only to find breakfast over, and my siblings out playing with friends.

I'd go searching for Mom and find her picking tomatoes in the little garden near the back porch. She would let me pick one to eat as I sat on the back porch steps. I'd often choose a 2nd and even a 3rd.

I can still smell the distinctive odor of tomato vines as I walked thru the rows to find the biggest, and juiciest ones, and recall slurping tomato juice as it dribbled down my chin.

Those delightful red tomato breakfasts and golden sunshine mornings are among the fondest memories etched in my memory bank.

Tomato Cluster
Tomato Cluster

No comments: