Saturday, September 27, 2014

Teaching knitting

From time to time, during my many years of knitting, I've taught others how to knit and it doesn't take long for a beginner to get the hang of it.

Knitting and crocheting is nothing more than making loops inside loops. There are only two stitches to learn in knitting, Knit and Perl stitch. Its the combination of those two that create the endless designs in knitted items such as sweaters, afghans, blankets and baby clothes.

Several times over the last six months, I had the occasion to help someone with their knitting project and more recently I've taught 4 different acquaintances how to knit. Three of those people enjoyed learning the skill, but one decided that it was not an activity she wanted to pursue.

Beginners struggle to use their thumbs and fingers to manipulate yarn and needles to make the simple loops that comprise knitting. While learning, it can be frustrating to keep the yarn from tangling while they move stitches from one needle to another, (which are really nothing more than sticks with pointed ends).

I remember my frustration when learning and promise beginners that once they know how the loops are made, knitting can be a fun and lasting skill. It's like learning to ride a bicycle, once you learn, you never forget.

As I help others with their knitting, I tell them the story my grandmother told me when I was growing up.

When she was in her 80's, she had a job teaching knitting in a department store. In those days, the yarns were basically wool, angora and silks, (modern acrylics not having been invented) and were sold in amounts for a particular project. Any left over yarn could be returned to the store for reimbursement. Knitters would bring their knitting to grandmother and she would fix any mistakes, dropped stitches or help with them with pattern instructions.

I was awed with grandmother's knowledge of knitting and crocheting and intrigued with her working in a department store when she was in her 80's. I was impressed then and I'm still impressed all these years later.

I wonder what she would think of the 'how to' teaching demonstrations on YouTube these days.


Knitting Needles
Knitting Needles


No comments: