Wednesday, February 11, 2015

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

MrsB

Mom's Christmas Cactus

Locally, our recent days have been sunny and warmish. Frosty nights are giving way to an occasional rainy day. The highs and lows of daily temperatures are duly recorded by the weathermen who frequently predict warmer temperatures. But its still winter and I busy myself with indoor activities and wait for spring to arrive.

I have a beautiful Christmas cactus that is at least 30 years old. My Mother had it for many years and I became its owner after her death. The plant stays outside most of the year and I only bring it inside to protect it from freezing temperatures. It was in full bloom over the holidays and now that it has finished blooming, I decided to propagate some of the cactus leaves. I've had success in getting cuttings of various plants rooted, but I had never tried rooting leaves of my Christmas cactus.

Its a miracle that this particular plant has survived the slings and arrows of misfortune to thrive and become such an exquisitely beautiful plant when its in full bloom. There have been periods of neglect when it suffered from lack of water only to suffer the reverse and almost drown from too much water. Careless handling has broken the pot and branches alike. Before my cat, Mimi, ran off with a river boat gambler, she liked to play hide and seek among the branches so that the plant lost its beautiful symmetry. It has taken several years for it to regain its fullness and this year the blooms were spectacular.

If my cuttings root, I plan to give them to any family members that want a clone of Mom's Christmas cactus. Stay tuned....


Schlumbergera Christmas Cactus or Thanksgiving Cactus
Schlumbergera
Christmas Cactus or Thanksgiving Cactus


No comments: