Saturday, March 14, 2015

Television Commercial Artistry

I'm fascinated by the advertisement Viking Cruises airs on television. Ordinarily, I ignore commercials, and have several ways of being oblivious to them. I'm adept at just tuning them out until I hear voices indicating the commercial has ended. Sometimes, when the commercial is running, I surf the channels for a later hour program, or switch to the news channel to see if there is breaking news. There is usually enough time to run to the kitchen and raid the fridge for a snack, but if the voice in the commercial is grating and unpleasant to the ear, I just turn the sound down.

When the cruise commercial appears on the screen, I watch from beginning to end. I admire the composition of each camera shot. They really are works of art. The various angles from which the camera records the views, and the changing scenes holds my interest throughout the whole commercial.

The aerial views of the surrounding landmarks are stunning. As the cruise passengers sail curving water ways, winding through pastoral scenes, they are treated to interesting views of historic towns. Landscapes, ever changing, are a feast for eyes and I imagine the passengers enjoying the marvelous sights as they pass them.

Taking a cruise can be a wondrous thing, and there are many lines that offer voyages, near and far, that can be enjoyed. But when I watch the Viking commercial, I can't help thinking what a shame that the passengers will never really see the views that the camera promises. What they see when sailing the cruise line is not what I get to see in the commercial. While they are sailing on water, I am happily cruising the same voyage, but in a concise and more poetical time frame.


Viking River Cruises
Viking River Cruises


No comments: