Saturday, June 11, 2016

Minding My P's and Q's

I'm making progress in my project of reading a book upside down, but I really have to pay attention to some of the characters.  Especially the letters P and Q.  They are easily mistaken for B or D.  The same goes for A and E, although distinguishing A and E have become easier as I get more practiced.  Those letters appear more often.

I still have to spell out some words to understand them.  I also tend to anticipate the next word, often incorrectly, consequently not getting the right tense or meaning.  Example: detect, detective, detected, detects, detection and detecting.  I've also discovered that when I put the book down and pick it up again many hours later, I have to re-orient myself to think upside down, but after reading several words or a sentence, it becomes easy and I can read more quickly. 

I remember that names of font designs used to be printed on the fly leaf of books, but as long as the printing was legible, I didn't care what font design was used.  They may not even be mentioned in publications any longer, its not listed in the book I'm reading.  Whatever the design in my book, the letters f and i join in some words so it looks like an h.  I have to back track to decipher the meaning of the word.  Examples: 'first' and 'find'.

I am gaining an appreciation of art work in font design!  Its amazing the things one notices when trying something new out of the ordinary.

No comments: