Saturday, March 25, 2017

Fix'n

It wasn't broken, but they had to fix it. Something in our genes makes us create complexities we call 'updating'.. We can't seem to leave things in a simple state if its at all possible to change the involvement of a procedure. Take for example, checking out a library book to read on a kindle.

In the old days all you had to do was ask the librarian at your local library for a card with your name and a number on it, which gave you the privilege of borrowing a book, free of charge, for so many days. If the book was returned late, there was a fine of several pennies for each day the book was over due. The card never expired; it was good for as long as you continued to use it at this particular library.

Then along came the internet with its digital universe. Using a computer to scroll thru a library digital catalog and downloading an ebook to a digital device was a lure too hard to resist. One of my favorite activities had been going to the library, browsing the stacks and rummaging thru the books on the sale table, then going home with an armload of books to read. I liked holding a book and turning the pages, but when I received a kindle as a gift, I gave in, and gave up trips to the library.

I was pleasantly surprised at the ease and convenience of downloading an ebook to my kindle at any time of day or night. Several years went by without a hitch until the digital gods would no longer accept my library card.

What to do, Percy? What to do?

It turns out that the powers that be decided to upgrade the system. The routines had been too simple. Complexities had to be created. Card numbers expired and had to be replaced. Scrolling the library digital catalog now requires clicking and choosing from a myriad of photos and instructions before even getting into the library. Further clicking is required to narrow the search by choosing from a long list that includes which device, type of subject, and availability,

It took me almost 2 weeks of trial and error to download a book to my kindle, even after phoning the library for 'how to'.

The first librarian was brusque, but told me to click on a particular photo, then 'go from there'. I did as told, but 'going from there' didn't work for me.

The second librarian I talked to was more explicit, but mentioned the steps so fast I had trouble jotting down the steps involved before she hung up.

It was by chance and by golly that I finally downloaded 2 ebooks....
I hope I can do it again.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The folks down at the home know all about that don't fix it unless it's broken stuff!! Can you imagine, they changed the formula for fruit cup to save a few pennies ..and its just not the same without a marschino cherry !!! So now we hold out for the banana pudding... Please .. don't try to fix fruit cup !!!!

We are doing 'Air Mail Books' now! Fast easy delivery - its all the rage !! mainly here though .. because 'Crazy Murray' .. keeps throwing them at folks who snore too loud in the common lounge...

thats the latest from the home... signing off .. Larry the Librarian