Saturday, October 21, 2017

Wontons

Many years ago, a young Chinese student from Taiwan, studying at Stanford, taught me a recipe.  It was how to make wontons and cook them in boiling water.  I was surprised that a young man would know how to do this. It was a simple, ezpz recipe and I made it often. 

Time passed; life presented turns and twists obscuring recipes and the wonton recipe was forgotten, until all these years later.  Today, when I checked Chef John's latest recipe, I was reminded of the wontons. Scrolling thru the internet, I found numerous YouTube variations of the young man's recipe, Wonton Soup.  Many of the recipes show how to flavor the boiling water, but many web sites prefer just plain boiling water, which is the way I learned this recipe. 

The basic filling for the wonton wrappers consists of
ground pork
chopped prawns
chopped green onions
chopped cabbage
chopped chestnuts
minced garlic
grated ginger
sesame oil
soy sauce
drop filled wontons into boiling water and cook for several minutes. 
The wontons can be eaten with any of the sauce recipes found on the web, or served in a bowl of hot chicken broth.
I often made this recipe with  just ground meat, chopped green onion and minced garlic in a wonton wrap, boiled in water and served only with a little soy sauce.



 

No comments: