Sunday, May 16, 2021

Cars and other 'Stuff' by Anno Nymus

Cars and other 'Stuff'

by Anno Nymus


    thoughts in passing – on passing –


I never much thought of myself as a 'car guy' … although growing up in Southern California in the 1950's and 60's, cars were an interwoven part of our daily life.


As my sis used to say, "we got bunched in" with a rather large extended family of aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and friends of friends. Back in those days, every family had at least one car for every adult, so we were exposed to, and experienced lots of, different cars --  all used by this huge extended family of drivers.

Of course every one who had a car had opinions about other cars, envied other cars, wanted other cars, looked down on other cars, etc etc  to a fault ad nauseum. … Your car defined who you were, and told the world where you fit in the great pecking order. Everyone I knew had to start at the humble bottom.

When I was a teen .. it was not uncommon to get a decent running “work car” for well under $100 – it likely burned a little oil, but gas was 25 cents a gallon, and a quart of oil less than 20 cents .. so you would just keep a few extra cans of oil, and an oil spout in the trunk !

The “$50 work car” was a common ad in the classifieds in the 50's and 60's. Grandma once bragged that she bought a Model T for 25 dollars right after the big war started. She sold it for 75 dollars after the war, and we never heard the end of it !

Radios! For my generation it was all about the radios and radio stations !! Cars had radios !! Teens and radios became a marriage! My musician friend Al once said .. “ teens and musicians don’t buy a car .. they get a radio with wheels. ! “





And boy, was the radio a big part of the culture in those days! .. There was a row of preset push button stations on the dash console – which we played like a piano – to switch stations, or find a particular tune you wanted to hear … :D

My car memories go way back . I actually remember as a toddler, riding in our old 'woodie' station wagon, traveling to California from Pennsylvania – after returning from Europe .

We traveled the famous 'Route 66' in all its glory; the Tepee Motels, and roadside attractions. Paralleling long freight trains snaking west kept me rapt for hours as a toddler on the highways. I have always loved trains ever since. And of course, there was a lot of family singing to make the time go by.

I have a picture in mind of men futzing with  canvas water bags hanging on the radiator when we were traveling through the deserts and hot country at night to keep the motor cool. I loved watching for new and different “Burma Shave” motto signs along the long straight stretches. All our nomadic 'bunch'  loved traveling the back roads and byways of yore – but I digress.

My first car was a 1959 Caribbean Brown Chevrolet Bel Air – that came to me from a distant cousin that had passed away suddenly. It cost $300, and I got it for my 17th birthday in 1963. I thought I was a king!

I was able to purchase it with my generous birthday money, from Mom, and Grandma B. I even had just enough birthday money left to buy a beginners 5 string banjo (which launched my musical career). My birthday wishes fulfilled; a banjo, and a car !

I had finally joined the great horde of teen drivers; freedom, and miles of highway to explore. I think for someone like me, with a burgeoning vagabond spirit, this car was the ultimate key to the future..



1959 Chevy Bel Air - Caribbean Brown

this one – identical to mine – recently sold at auction for $85,000

The Chevy had a 3 speed 'H' pattern column shift, with clutch, and brake pedals. I got very good at driving a 'column stick' ! I thought I was a king the first time I drove it to High School as a Senior. I prayed I wouldn't stall the clutch in front of the kids in the parking lot.

There were some amazing adventures and road trips in that car... stories for another time .

It was great to be 17 in California, out of school for the summer, with a car .. endless places to go .. and gas sometimes less than 20 cents gallon! $5 of gas could last a week of school commuting, dating, 'Sunday' drives, or the ever popular sudden 'road trips' !

There have been a surprising number of cars pass through my life .. and I'm finding it fascinating how many, and how varied they are. I decided to do a few stories about some of them so this is the first installment of a random series of car tales ..

My earlier story, score of the 1933 Divco Twin Coach, is the most current installment of collectible cars and truck tales, but I think y'all will enjoy the variety of stories coming soon about some cars y'all might even remember...

Till Next Time ….

* * * *


1 comment:

Michael Hausman said...

It’s fun to read of your and our adventures growing up in the “West.”