Sunday, October 23, 2022

When what you don't know.... by KimB

I get lots of interesting things at the Food Pantry. Loads of stuff I don't know what to do with or how to cook it. It's a culinary adventure-land!

Every week, it's a Door Number 3 SURPRISE! when you get home and have time to look at what's in the bag for the week. Often times it's a wonderful "WOW! YUM!" and other times is a "WTF do I do with THIS?".

In a recent grocery bag I found a large selection of Yellow Bell Peppers, about 3 lbs of bell peppers. Nice bright yellow ones, not too big, maybe a bit small for Stuffed Peppers but good for everything from salads, to rice, to meat casaroles and a bright note for sandwiches. WOW!

There were quite a lot of them, probably more than 20 in the bag. So I decided I'd make Roasted Bell Peppers, which would have great flavor and I can freeze some of it for later uses.

Sounds a Good Plan!

I decided to cut them up into sections. My personal technique is to look at the bottom of the pepper and were it pinches inwards is where the white membrane is located. So I cut off the section omitting the membrane. I get 3 or 4 wedges of good pepper and less hassle with seeds and the core.

These peppers didn't have much white membrane, actually they had nearly none, although they did have unusal black seeds. Normally black seeds make occasional appearance in bell peppers but all of these had black seeds. They looked like small bright yellow apples in shape. Interesting. Maybe a new type of Bell Pepper?

So I'm merrily slicing bell peppers and get a whole gallon size freezer bag of glorious yellow bells pieces. I drizzled olive oil and lemon pepper and some oregano into the bag, sealed the bag and gave it all a good tumble. WOW!

I toss them onto the hot BBQ grill and Let The Sizzle Begin!

I went about some other tasks while the peppers were grilling, one of which is to eat an English Muffin with my latest fruit sauce: Chunky Plum. Tastes great but... it's a bit spicy...

How can plums with sugar taste spicy?

I sniff my hands and they smell of bell peppers and I notice a tiny burning sensation on my lips..

Hmmm...

Maybe it's something about those unusual bell peppers? Maybe they are some kind of spicier bells? They look like over sized habanero peppers but habaneros have thin skins and these have thick skins.

So I hit the web to find out...

Habaneros... Indeed...

They are called Rocoto Peppers (Capsicum pubescens 1 ) and come from South America. In Mexico they are called "apple peppers". Very popular and very spicy.

How Spicy Are They?

Scoville Heat Units
Tabasco Pepper 50,000
Thai chili pepper
(aka Bird's eye chili)
100,000
Habanero &
Scotch Bonnet
350,000
Rocoto Peppers 50,000 to 250,000

I have a gallon freezer bag of them...

Rocoto Pepper Capsicum pubescens
Rocoto Pepper
Capsicum pubescens


1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens


No comments: