Sunday, October 30, 2005

Luck and Good Fortune

I consider myself the luckiest of people! I’m blessed with a loving family, wonderful friends and neighbors who are salt of the earth! While the hurricane, Rita, created havoc along the Texas coast, uprooting trees, ripping roofs off houses, demolishing basic community services, and leaving the area uninhabitable, I was enjoying the dry desert mountain air of Arizona.

My first evacuation occurred when Rita was declared a cat 5 hurricane and my son suggested I come to Houston and wait out the hurricane in his apartment. 18 hours later, Houston had to evacuate and I was on the move again. My son evacuated to Austin, but I accepted a cousin’s invitation to visit her in Arizona.

L, (aka Mesa Tessa) owns a mini ranch miles from civilization as we know it. There is no living off the land by patronizing fast food restaurants like Wendy’s, McDonalds, Burger King, or Jack in the Box. She drives ten miles to pick up her mail at a tiny branch post office and thirty miles to Prescott for groceries.

While we watched television coverage of Katrina survivors in New Orleans, the Bush administration finally kicked into gear as the scope of the catastrophe became apparent. As people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds suffered hunger, thirst, and helplessness in the face of death, flood and indignities due to lack of sanitation, I was safe, well fed and enjoyed the comfortable amenities of a modern ranch with every convenience.

Family and neighbors kept me informed by phone and email as conditions at home became known. Thanks to them I have been able to arrange to have the tree on top of the house removed and the roof tarped to prevent further damage. Considering the state of affairs in the devastated area of the gulf coast, I am very lucky to have a house I can still call home!

Even the fact that my car was recently stolen can’t dampen my belief that I am a lucky person. Neighbors continue to keep me apprised of conditions and improvements in town and my family has kept me entertained with excursions, presents and visits with friends. Houses can be repaired, cars can be replaced, but I would truly be lost if I didn’t have such a loving family and caring friends.

1 comment:

TRANQUILLITY BASE said...

Oh my Gosh!!! I am sooooo glad that you are okay and back to writing again.

I was so sorry to here that you had to leave your home, but like you said...you were one of the lucky ones. It sounds like you were safe and sound, although I know that there truly is "no place like home".

It's nice to know you have such wonderful friends and family.

I wish you the best and hope that life will return to normal for you real soon.

I'm glad to hear that you are okay...PEACE....Lj