Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Living off The Land

At the end of November when I return to Texas, I’ll be facing decisions about house repairs and whether to buy a car to replace the stolen one, or use the senior bus and save money on car insurance and gasoline.

In the meantime, I’m enjoying life in the fast lane and living off the land at lunch time. When I mention the ‘fast lane’ I’m referring to the never ending ribbons of traffic on all the major thoroughfares of northern California. Back home in rural Texas, heavy traffic is when three or four cars are stopped for a red light at commute time. Here in the Bay Area, multiple lanes in both directions are bumper to bumper with vehicles, day and night.

The foothills and mountains of the San Francisco peninsula are cuffed and tied together with twisting concrete ropes, each promising a shorter road to beach towns. At night car lights paint strips of yellow/white in one direction, and red going in reverse.

If two or more people are in a car, the driver can use the ‘fast’ lane. It can be a breathtaking ride as slower lanes of traffic recede backward while clipping along at the maximum speed limit several car lengths behind the car in front. In rain, it’s even more breathtaking! I’ve taken to praying more than usual.

While I have been an ‘evacuee’, I’ve enjoyed delightful meals with friends and co-workers of family members who have graciously invited me to experience their traditional and special ethnic cuisine. I’ve also had the opportunity to join many of them for lunches at their favorite restaurants. So far I’ve enjoyed Russian, Mongolian, Greek, Chinese Fusion and both the Northern and Southern foods of India which can rival the hot chili dishes of Mexico. California organic, and wild Alaskan are important in the recipes my family serves. What fun to live off the land! So many choices, so little time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Ga. I am enjoying reading about your extended trip to Ca. Some news from our aunt in Ca. She hurt her back again and now is in a nurseing home. Do not know for how long. If you can send me an E-Mail. Love Rose