Monday, December 26, 2005

The Dog Ate the Mail and the Sugar Plums!

Tessa Mesa wasn’t home the day her local post office manager made a momentous decision. Delivery of priority holiday packages addressed to box numbers was running past the promised delivery date so it was decided to deliver the packages to the homes of the addressees. Tessa Mesa’s package was left on her door step in the belief that it was safe from lurking thieves. The mail person didn’t know that Tessa Mesa would be out of town until late Christmas day.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Missy, the German shepherd left to guard the yard and house, was free to roam the grounds and inspect all packages left on door steps which meant tasting and eating contents of said packages. When Tessa Mesa returned home all she found were bits of colored red and blue boxes and bits of wrapping paper with my return address and labels saying, “Rum Sugar Plums”, and “Orange Sugar Plums”.

I received a phone call Christmas night with the above story, and asking me what sugar plums were, what they looked like, and how they were made. I told her it was a secret family recipe that I had promised never to divulge on pain of death or banishment from the clan.

Of course, it's not really a "secret family recipe" so I'm delighted to have put it in the following post...


Happy Holidays to All!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once had a dog that ate my homework... but this really takes the cake ... errr ... Sugar Plums !!

Dee F. Ault