Saturday, July 15, 2006

Green Jell-O Tomorrow

My son has had minor eye surgery and spent a night in the hospital. He’s back home now but he has to keep ice packs on his eyes for a day or so. He will soon well and back to his normal activities. While he’s recuperating, I take him little care packages of foods and munchies that I make for him such as egg salad spread for mini tortilla rounds, black bean relish, cucumber and tomato salad and strawberry Jell-O.

When I was a child I liked to stir Jell-O after my mother poured the boiling water over the powder. As I moved the spoon back and forth to melt the sugar crystals, the pretty colored fluid made ripples and spirals.

Jell-O was always a favorite dessert as a child. One year I begged to stay up until midnight to see the New Year in but didn’t quite make it. I got too sleepy to stay up so around 11:00 pm I was given some of the midnight party food which included red Jell-O with whipped cream.

As we weathered all the childhood diseases, tapioca and Jell-O was given to us on our bed trays. Sometimes fruit or a combination of vegetables was in the gelatin but no matter the flavor, I loved the jewel like colors.

I followed the same pattern that my mother did when my children were ill; Jell-O was part of their treatment. So I find it quite natural to make Jell-O for my adult son while he’s recuperating.

He gets green Jell-O tomorrow.

No comments: