Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Wonderful Birthday Cake by Esther

[note: this story was written by my sister Esther]

It was so nice to see Mom and Dad. They came to spend a few days with us on their way through to Florida. And best of all they brought along with them Mom’s sister, Aunt Nettie and her husband Matt. Aunt Nettie is everyone’s favorite and she was one of the best Aunts any one would want.

Vern and I enjoyed taking them sight seeing what was to be of interest and in general what made Baton Rouge a growing city. First stop was the capitol. It’s always a good place to spend several hours. We left there to go eat lunch and then we were off to a hard ware store.

It was a general store that was long past it’s time. But it was not about to close it’s door and go out of business. They had so many customers that needed them. I told the owner I had to bring my parents in to show them and he was more than pleased to show us around. He had farm equipment for the small farmer and for the rice and cane big time farmers.

If you needed harness for any animal he had it all. If you needed tools, he was your man. If you wanted bees he had them for sell too. By now Dad and Matt were really enjoying this place. We had a first class tour and he was a fantastic guide. The owner was as pleased to know Dad and Uncle Matt were old time farmers too.

Us ladies also had a great time there just looking. It was like being back a few generations, where a general store meant the store had everything to sell. It had fabric, buttons, ribbons and patterns for the one who sewed. The furniture was the best made and in style, from the kitchen all the way though the house.

Mom and Aunt Nettie and I spent a nice afternoon and we all thanked the owner for his time showing us how good the old days were. I really loved taking everyone there.

The children loved it when Grandma and Grandpa came to visit. They really spoiled the kids. That’s what they are suppose to do. They loved to hear grandpa tell about when he would work with Paul Bunyon. He would tell the same stories my brothers and sisters would ask him when we were small. And Dad would have one of them cut the string in to two pieces and then he would make it back into one string. His fingers were fast.

The day before they were to leave to continue to Florida, was my birthday. I was going to bake my cake, a devils food cake with white mountain icing and lots of shredded coconut flakes all over the top and sides. Mom always made the best cakes, but there just was not enough time so Aunt Nettie and I went off to the bakery to see what I could find. She wanted to buy me something and there was not a thing I would let her get for me.

We made a stop at the grocery store and got several items I needed for supper and after that we went to the bakery and looked at the cakes in the glass cases. They all looked so good. It was like when I was very young and I had a penny and could only buy one piece of candy and there was twenty five different kind to choose from.

Aunt Nettie saw one that she liked and pointed it out to me. It was really a nice looking cake. Had five layers, was a rectangle, and each layer was a different color. It was a rainbow cake. It was just the best looking cake and I told her she pick a winner. She wanted to get it as my birthday gift and I let her do it. I have always treasured that cake and it was several years later I found the recipe for it and if you do make one, you will love it for sure.

I don’t make five layers and so I don’t have all the colors at one time. Any flavor is good and the frosting is a glaze drizzled over the top. I will leave the recipe for you to try, knowing it’s a winner.



Cake

1 white or yellow cake mix
1 3 oz any flavor jello
½ cup oil
¼ cup fruit juice to match jello*

Follow directions on cake box and add the dry jello powder,
oil, fruit juice or water, with an electric beater

Bake in two layer cake pans or a 9x13 inch pan at
350 degree oven till done. Cool before icing.


Icing

½ cup butter room temperature
1 lb. powder sugar

Start with a few drops of lemon juice till you have glaze icing

Spread icing over first layer put second layer on top first layer
and spread the rest of the icing on top.


Example of multiple layer jello cake

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I love the way you tell a story and make me feel that I'm right there with you!

I can just see the old general store - with everything you could possibly want, need or use... and the owner gave real service ... and was proud of his store. Those days are just about gone.

You are right about the grand-folks! They ARE s'posed to spoil the grand chil'ren's - to the core if possible... fer heavens sake .. that's what grand-folks do don'cha know?

Oh my .. and that fantastic cake! .. hoo-wee ... I want me some. It looks so delicious, and you make it sound just wonderful. I'm so glad you gave the recipe... I'm gonna make it and call it Esthers' Rainbow Cake... and I'll save YOU a slice !!

More More More - Puh-leeze !!??

Signed a secret admirer

Anonymous said...

Enjoy reading the stories of the family. Please keep them coming.

Ginny

Anonymous said...

There is something special about birthday cakes. It brings back fond memories of cakes made and eaten over the years!

Big cheers for MORE cakes and MORE stories!

Kim