Friday, July 31, 2009

Mimi

Poor Mimi is traumatized. She is upset because I got a new bed. It’s queen size and replaces the single bed she and I have shared since she was a baby. I can’t believe that she lost her usually tranquil demeanor over the event, but she carried on like a banshee all night. My plans for a comfy nights sleep in my comfy new bed turned out to be one of the worse nights I’ve had in a long time.

She cried all night, sometimes meowing softly, sometimes more loudly, and sometimes in my ear. She jumped on and off the bed. She walked on my pillows, and she walked on me. I thought eventually Mimi would settle down and divide the night between sleeping at the foot of the bed and stretching out on the window sill next to the bed, and as usual, make her nocturnal forays from room to room leaving her toys scattered around for me to find in the morning.

Instead, around 3 in the morning, I was awakened with a noise that made me sit straight up in bed. In my ‘sleep-confusion’ I reached for a light that wasn’t there, on a night stand that wasn’t there either. Because the queen size bed took up so much space, the night stand had to be moved to a different spot. When I did turn on the light, I saw that Mimi had turned over a large floor fan that had a strand of jingle bells attached. Nothing was broken. The only damage was to my nerves.

Not having been born a true cat lover but having ‘acquired’ the affection like one ‘acquires; the taste for green olives, I’m learning that cats do not tolerate change well. ‘What to do Percy? What to do? I believe that when Mimi finishes sniffing and realizes the bed is here to stay and discovers that it might be more comfy for naps than the old, lumpy, narrow single bed was, she’ll be my sweet, lovable Mimi again.

cat under a bed

No comments: