Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Chess

chessI enjoy playing chess. Win or lose, I enjoy the game which surprises me since I avoided the game for years. My first experience was many years ago. My husband showed me how each chess piece moved and suggested we have a game. After the first couple of moves, my husband began to spend what I thought was an exceptionally long time studying the board before he would make a move. I became impatient and urged him to play more quickly, but the wait between moves got so long it was exasperating. I would leave the game, do something else until he said it was my turn, then return to the game, quickly glance at the board and make a move. The game became so in terminally long that I lost what little incentive I had at the beginning. I vowed never to play again. After all, chess is just a game; the fate of mankind doesn’t rest on the outcome.

A great number of years later, my brother, Mickey and his son, Jimmy, aged 12, started a chess game during a family barbeque. As the afternoon went on, challenges were issued and accepted and before long I was the only one not playing. I watched and rooted for the underdog and had as much fun as those playing. The games didn’t last very long, but it soon became obvious that Jimmy was the one who was forced to defend his title as best player of the day.

During the next few days Chess mania took over the house. Mickey and Dad went into Dad’s workshop and made several chess sets. Mom and Dad learned to play and began little tournaments between themselves. My daughter Kim gave Jimmy a run for his money at the board, but I did not play.

Another great number of years passed, when one day, while at the annual book sale of the public library, I found a black book without a cover, in fair condition, at least 3 inches thick, priced $1. Hopping for a saga similar to Shogun, I looked inside but it only had diagrams of chess games. I bought the book anyway.

When news of Bobby Fischer, Big Blue and Kasparov made daily headlines, I began to think maybe playing chess could be fun and started playing online as a way to keep my brain active building neurons. As I played, I began to see the logic of making certain moves and realized that chess was more than merely capturing a pawn or knight. I play unrated games to avoid the double stress of winning the game and losing points in a rating. Over the years I treated chess like any ‘ole’ game, but now in my old age, I realize it’s an art, and I enjoy the brilliancies of master chess players, past and present. The nicest thing of all about chess is that anyone, at any age, can play and take from the game as much pleasure as they choose. Come join me at http://playchess.com/ it’s free if you play as a guest.


A poem by Chuang Tzu


When an archer is shooting for nothing, he has all his skill.
If he shoots for a brass buckle, he is already nervous.
If he shoots for a prize of gold, he goes blind or sees two targets.
He is out of his mind!
His skill has not changed, but the prize divides him.
He cares. He thinks more of winning than shooting---
And the need to win drains him of power.

No comments: