Sunday, June 06, 2010

I think I’m doing fine by Loretta

[editor's note: We would like to introduce a new poster to the blog: Loretta. Loretta is MrsB's cousin. We hope you will enjoy her stories as much as we do! There are more details about Loretta at the bottom of the posting for those interested in family ties]

Back in 2001, I was having medical problems, my doctor asked me how I felt about my job. Telling him how much I hated it, he asked me why I didn't quit and try something new. So I called the Retail Clerks Union that I belonged to and found out how much money I'd receive if I retired. That was all it took. I quit and moved on.

I started looking for a property outside of California. I thought about New Mexico, but decided on Arizona, which is closer to family and Laughlin, Nevada. I bought a house on 6 acres of land in northern Arizona; moved in and started making it mine.

I finished the room and bathroom connected to the garage, put French Doors in and built a patio and courtyard in the front of my house. I also started a fruit tree orchard. I have apples, pears, cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots,plums and two years ago I had a green house built to keep alive my lemon, tangerine, and pummelo trees.

Every year I start a garden planting tomatoes, regular cukes and Japanese cukes, cantaloupe, Italian squash, red and green bells, different kinds of chili peppers, watermelon, cilantro and anything that has a mind to grow from the year before. I'm growing different kinds of grapes. Two years ago they dried up on the vine and were so sweet. Believe it or not: raisins.

I have an extended family of animals: three dogs, four cats, two horses and they all rule the roost. The property is up against federal and state land which has wild critters: rabbits, squirrels, deer and snakes. There are all kinds of birds, such as hawks, very large ravens, roadrunners and quail. There are tame birds that have mated with wild ones and they have the most beautiful colors: yellows, reds and blues. Lately, we have had two mountain lions hanging around and the coyote run wild out here too. I've even seen a cattle drive come up over the hill and into the valley beyond us.

We have the four seasons, which makes it nice. In the winter, it snows and I heat the house with a wood burning stove. In the summer, my doors and windows never get closed. In the spring, everything turns green and all the wild flowers that grow out here are beautiful. I planted iris at my fence line and put potted plants all over the patio. In the fall, the weather starts cooling down and we have pit fires at night out on the patio.

Living out here reminds me of my childhood. The first 10 years we lived in a rural area in Iowa; outhouse and all. I do have indoor plumbing here of course. I wish the dirt was as good here as it is in Iowa, but that’s never going to happen. We also don’t have the humidity here that you have in the Midwest, makes it harder to grow sweet and juicy fruit and veggies.

It's also different as far as shopping goes, anywhere from 13 to 30 miles depending on what your looking for. I’ve also gone back to hanging clothes on the line, instead of using a dryer. I’m on a well system so the only utility I have is electric; can’t do without that.

God willing and the creek don’t rise, I think I’m doing fine.



[Who is Loretta? MrsB's mom is Lucinda. Lucinda's brother is Lester. Loretta is Lester's daughter. She is a first cousin to MrsB and MrsB's brothers and sisters. She is a 2nd cousin to their children.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful biography ...and yes, you are doing just fine!

I am jealous, it sounds like a nearly perfect life.

Keep'em coming. Great writing!

Anonymous said...

I think you found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Anonymous said...

your excess fruit would make wonderful wines to sip when siting around the pit fires. let me know when you have the first tasting party, I'll be right over.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for telling us about your little piece of paradise. I know others enjoy reading about your accomplishments.