Friday, August 27, 2010

Times Remembered 3

[Editor's note: This will be a series of stories posted at irregular intervals]

I often wonder what the human condition will be like in years to come. I am not involved in the study of such, but questions do flicker in and out of my thoughts about what the future will be like long after I cease to exist.

Sometimes when I make impromptu comparisons between the times of my early years and the times of today, I wonder what life on earth will be like a thousand or more years from now.

Remembrances of my childhood usually encompass the years before WWII. The rest of my life experiences are broken into segments that are distinct by events in my life at that time. When I peruse the current state of affairs, events are either catastrophic like that of 9-11, or meld into continued progressions.

Extreme weather patterns caused by climate warming, lawlessness caused by drugs, human migrations from the countries of their birth, poverty due to downward spirals of economic conditions round the world and the extremes of personal wealth with individuals being worth Billions compared to those who are homeless, are conditions that overshadow the wonderful scientific discoveries and inventions that make our lives easier and enjoyable. Television, computers and air travel of today are things I never envisioned as a child, nor was sending astronauts into outer space and beyond. Heart transplants were only performed in horror movies, not real life. DNA is a resource used daily to combat illnesses, catch criminals, and prove kinship.

As TV brings the world news directly into our homes, we are forced to take note of deplorable conditions around the globe, and I can’t help remembering the slower paced living in a community that never felt the need to lock doors at night

Old Time Door Lock

No comments: