Monday, June 20, 2011

Flamenco

On the few occasions that I have watched flamenco dancers perform, I marveled at their ability to maintain and change rhythms so spectacularly. Flamenco music and dance did not play a big part in the culture in which I was raised, so the history of the guitar music and steps of the dance are foreign to me.

The other evening I watched the movie, Around The World In 80 Days (1956_film), a plot of trials and tribulations endured as characters in the story try to win a bet based on the novel by Jules Verne Around_the_World_in_80_Days (book). One of the many adventures the characters experience happens in Spain, in a Café Cantante. There is a choreographed scene of flamenco dancers,with José Greco. The famous actor, Cantinflas, in the role of Passepartout, gives a delightful dance exhibition.

After watching the movie, I googled for history of flamenco music and dance, and was surprised to find lessons on 'how to' as well. One can become mesmerized watching the many videos. The following is the dance scene from Around The World In 80 Days.

No comments: