Wednesday, June 01, 2011

So, How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

MrsB

  • My two pots of dead Chrysanthemums were trashed.
  • Of the 8 avocado seeds rooting in paper cups of water, 2 are showing roots
  • The dozen mango seeds I planned to root using wet paper towels molded.
  • The X-mas cactus is healthy and growing stems to replace the ones the cat broke off.

Loretta

Loretta's 2011 Garden
 Well, we went shopping for plants and they're pretty picked over. Found only one cilantro in all the stores. It's not the prettiest but hopefully that will change. Found a stripped yellow tomato plant, never had one of those before. Bought more hot chili pepper plants, green, red, yellow bells, Acorn squash, Rosemary, basil. Watermelon, cantaloupe, Asian , Armenian, regular cucumbers. Guess I’ll have to check out more local stores, maybe we’ll have better luck.

Our mint plants are growing wild outside my bedroom window and down in the garden. Found a beefsteak tomato plant or so it says I haven’t seen one growing in a long time; they always turn out to be something other than that. My grape plants are just starting to leaf out now doubt if we’ll have any this year. Red raspberries are just leafing as well. Bought strawberry plants for the pots.

Over the weekend Billy, April's husband planted the garden. I still need to buy more plants.

God willing we'll have a good garden this year.

KimB

THE 3/4-1/2 connector
  Finished re-running new drip irrigation lines to all the pots. The old lines were leaking so it was time to replace them. Of course, it required more than one trip to Orchard Supply to get all the bits and bobs needed. As, I had some experience running these lines in our former home in Hollister where I had a large "farm" in our backyard, I had some idea of what was needed. But, in Hollister, I went to the farmer's irrigation supply store in town and they knew exactly what was needed to connect "this to that". OSH on the other hand... well, its strictly figure it out for yourself. Took me better part of an hour just to find the 3/4-1/2 pipe connector [I sound like a pro but I didn't have a clue what it was called].

Potato Plant
Our tomatoes are going gang busters, we have 6 or more on one plant but only flowers on the other. The strawberry plants look happy but I think it's too soon for flowers for them. The great news is: the taters have sprung up! I have 3 in one pot and 1 in another. Of course I forgot which pot has the red and which has the white one taters. The pot with the single tater plant is growing so fast I will have to start "hilling" it in the next day or so.

No comments: