Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tribal Travels, Musings, and Jawbone Canyon Chapter 9 by R. Cane

It was growing dusk, with a beautiful blossoming desert sunset. The roadsigns were getting harder to read... but ever eager to try and stir up a side trip, I was earnestly announcing up coming possibilities... with great hope that I might get a bite... "Look - just ten miles to the cave"... “Historical marker ONLY 2 miles? Wonder what it is!?” It wasn't long before I said... "Oh look, there's Jawbone Canyon - just 2 miles".

This seemed like good prospecting potential and there might be a temptation. At this point I need to point out that I was thinking in terms of fossils and rock hunting when I gave voice aloud with great earnestness … 'Gee... I wonder what's in Jawbone Canyon?"

Grandad mused over this a moment, then got that famous twinkle, slowly turned to me and replied dryly… "Jawbones!”

I busted out laughing, and soon we both were all in stitches, and in spite of trying to hold back, grandad was roaring with laughter too. In moments we were laughing so hard he had to pull over… We commenced a second round of laughing at this, and I loved it! This was one delightful exception to 'making time', because this was a 'GRAND time!!

I cherish this memory, and I am smiling as I write this. This particular story has made its' way into family folklore for any 'dumb' question... as in 'Are you asking 'What's in Jawbone Canyon'?'... our version of 'Who's in Grant's tomb?'. Asked and answered... at the expense of a good laugh at myself.

So... now y'all know the secret of why just the very mention of the name 'Jawbone Canyon'... brings a warm smile to some in our tribe!

[Editor's note: This story was written by R. Cane and is part of a 10 story series]

No comments: