Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Baby Blankets

Without plan, only happenstance, I find myself knitting baby blankets as fast as I can knit and purl the stitches.

When a young acquaintance and his wife announced they would soon be the parents of their first baby, a boy, I decided to knit a baby blanket for them. I had never knitted a baby blanket in all my years of knitting, but I took on the project with an attitude that such a small item would be ezpz and proceeded to knit a blue baby blanket.

Soon after finishing the blue blanket, my sister told me, one of her granddaughters was expecting a second child and I volunteered to knit one for her. Without knowing the baby's gender, I chose the color yellow, but before it was finished, I learned the baby would be a girl. I embellished it with bands of pink flowers and had it ready for the baby's arrival.

Just as I finished knitting that blanket, my son's stepson and his wife announced that their third child was on its way. Having completed two blankets without much difficulty I was game for another and told them I'd knit one for them. Again, without knowing the gender, I finished a yellow blanket using a reversible pattern.

I was as surprised as the parents when they discovered they were going to have twins, a girl and a boy. They did not know I had already knitted a blanket and it was assumed I would make them in shades of pink and blue to match room decorations.

What to do, Percy? What to do?

I haven't chosen the patterns yet, but diamonds are a girl's best friend and there are lots of patterns using diamonds to choose from so there are two more blankets in my future.



Colored Yarn
Colored Yarn

No comments: