Saturday, September 01, 2012

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

Kim

Years ago there was a commercial for some special cookies. The husband brought home many lovely presents for his wife but she always answered, “What no cookies?”

I had the same problem with cucumbers. I got lots of other really nice vegetables but no cukes. I got lots of tomatoes, potatoes and beans but no cukes.

Every visit to the garden I would see these long cucumber vines meandering all over. My watermelon didn't meander at all and I keep thinking: Did I plant them in the wrong pots? No. But week after week went by and still no cukes.

As it was getting to the end of the season, I decided to pull up these “very unsatisfactory” cucumbers and headed out to do battle with the vines which were everywhere. I picked up the first one and it was rather heavy. Too heavy for a vine and I thought it was wrapped around one of my water lines. So I reached around the pot to untangle it and and discovered the weight wasn't a tangled water line, it was a CUCUMBER! A BIG CUCUMBER!

I was a bit stunned to see it but then I realized that the cucumbers where heavy and were hanging down from the vines and were hidden behind the pots and under other foliage. So I pulled and tugged on every vine and if it was heavy, there was a cucumber on the vine, all hanging down like big green icicles.

So, the cukes are in the bag now and have been a lovely addition to salads and gazpacho for our very hot summers.


The Elusive Cucumbers and Other Garden Goodies
The Elusive Cucumbers
and Other Garden Goodies

No comments: