Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Recipe Box: Boiled Eggs

Boiled Eggs
From the recipe box of MrsB

My brother Charles taught me how to boil eggs this way.

Use a pan that allows only one layer of eggs.
  • I cover them with cold tap water, but just enough water to generously cover them.
  • If you add too much water, it will throw the timing off.

Set a water timer for the boiling water.
  • Wait for the water to boil before starting the egg timer.
  • It may depend on the temp of your tap water, but for me it takes about 8-10 minutes for the water to begin boiling.
  • I try to see exactly when the water begins to boil, but if I miss it by a few seconds or even a minute, I don't panic.
  • Set a water timer for the boiling water, 8 min

Turn down the flame and start the egg timer when it boils.
  • I turn the flame down but keep the eggs gently simmering, not a hard boil. Its important to time the eggs at this point.
  • If you over boil, the white gets rubbery and you get a green coating around the yolk.
  • For small eggs, 10 mins
  • large eggs 12 mins
  • jumbo eggs 14-15 mins

Drain and cool the eggs.
  • At this point, quickly drain the hot water and run cold tap water over the eggs because they keep cooking as long as they are hot.

Egg Tips
  • If the eggs are at least a week old, it will be easy to peal them as you hold them under a slow stream of cold tap water.
  • Do not add salt to the water when you boil them.
  • Its best to use eggs that are at least 3 or 4 days old , a week or more is even better.

Custard Tips

You can find many recipes for custard on the net and baking instructions, but this is the way I bake it. It does take a much longer time but I never get watery custard and never get bubbles in the custard from too much heat.

When I make egg custard, I'm very particular about the oven heat. I do not preheat the oven and only turn it on when the custard is ready for the oven.

I use a bit less of the sugar called for in the recipe and I use powdered milk. The vanilla gives it enough flavor that I never miss the whole milk.
  • Do not preheat the oven and only turn it on when the custard is ready for the oven.
  • Bake the custard in a Bain Marie, which means placing the dish with the custard mixture into a larger pan and add cold tap water so that it comes about inch up the sides of the dish.
  • You will know when its done when the center still jiggles a bit.
  • Remove the custard from the pan of water and let it cool.
  • It will continue to cook enough to get firm.
Options
  • use less sugar
  • use powdered milk

Boiled Eggs

Large Eggs at least 3-4 days old.

Preparation
  1. 1 layer eggs covered in tap cold water.
  2. 8 minute water timer for boiling water. Start egg timer when the water actually starts to boil.
  3. 12 minute egg timer for large eggs. Reduce heat to slow simmer.
  4. Drain and run under cold water.

Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard Boiled Eggs


No comments: