Saturday, June 21, 2014

Food Crazes

My latest food craze is guacamole sandwiches.

I don't make the guacamole, although its very easy to make. Instead, I buy it from a woman who makes it at a small stand inside the grocery store that I patronize. I have been using it as a dip, and only recently discovered that it is delicious as a sandwich.

Whenever I buy avocados, it reminds me of lunching with a friend in Acapulco, Mexico. It was common for street vendors to enter sidewalk cafes and offer to sell oranges or avocados to the patrons. During our lunch, a vendor selling avocados came to our table. My friend purchased several to take home, remarking that avocados were known as “Mexican butter”.

I never bothered to try them as butter, only using them in salads, until I the other day when I wanted some guacamole, only to find I was out of chips.

What to do, Percy? What to do?

I slathered a couple of slices of whole grain bread with guacamole, slapped them together in a sandwich and discovered 'paradiso!

So that I can indulge myself with my latest food craze, I'll start making my own guacamole to assure a ready supply!

Mantequilla de pobre (Spanish for: poor-man's butter) is a mixture of avocado, tomato, oil, and citrus juice. Despite its name, it predates the arrival of dairy cattle in the Americas, and thus was not originally made as a butter substitute.

Guacamole Butter

Guacamole
Guacamole


No comments: