Saturday, May 23, 2015

Will work for chocolate

I like chocolate.

All kinds of chocolate. Chocolate bonbons, chocolate bars, chocolate cake, chocolate pie, chocolate cookies, chocolate pudding, chocolate covered nuts, and chocolate ice cream. I like drinking hot chocolate but I'm not a big fan of cold chocolate milk. In my opinion, chocolate, in all its versatile forms, is a delicious wonder of the world.

One of the first things I learned to cook was chocolate fudge. On winter evenings Mom would let me make a batch of fudge to pass around to my brothers and sisters as they played games, and to Dad as he fooled around with his amateur radio equipment, and to Mom as she read a book.

I also learned how to bake the chocolate cake listed on the label of Hershey's cocoa box. I made it so often when I got home from school in the afternoon to serve as our after dinner dessert, that I never had to use the written recipe, even during later years.

Most holidays are celebrated with sweets of some kind, but two holidays are definitely celebrated with flowers and chocolate: Valentines Day, and Easter.

Lilies and chocolate rabbits herald the beginning of Spring. Baskets filled with jelly beans, chocolate eggs, marshmallow peeps and chocolate bunnies are parallel rites to the religious holiday just like Santa Claus is a parallel tradition to Christmas.

This year, the Easter Bunny has given me enough chocolate, in the shapes of eggs and bunny rabbits, that with prudent rationing, it will last until the middle of June.


Chocolate Bunny
Chocolate Bunny


No comments: