Saturday, July 09, 2016

Reading upside down update

I've finished Alexander McCall Smith's book, 'In The Company Of Cheerful Ladies'.  I still have to spell and sound out some words, but its getting easier.  I have trouble deciphering names of people and towns and have to peek at the words to verify the meaning.  This has been a 'pick up' task I gave myself, and I did keep a steady move forward.

Although I had read this book in2004, I was surprised to find myself looking forward to the next page.  The chapter endings didn't continue in the beginning of the next chapter.  In my memory, the story unfolds in a continuous fashion, but in reading it again, I discovered that it took little jigs and jags as details of location, new characters and traditions were added to the story. 

I found the book just as charming this time around as it was the first time I read it.  It was slow reading,, and I noticed that when I had to peek at a word, I had trouble finding my place again.  But constantly finding my place further down the page than I thought, I realized that my reading pace was picking up.

I've chosen a mystery for my second read.  'Hard Christmas' by Barbara D'Amato.  There are 30 chapters and 282 pages.  It may well be Christmas before I finish.  Reading upside down is a brain game and I plan on continuing the game.  Incidentally, two acquaintances have started reading upside down since they learned about my project.  I'll report my progress and update it from time to time. 

No comments: