Friday, August 12, 2016

Dancing

Well!  What do you know?  I'm learning to samba.  Well....not really...just the basic steps...so far.  During the Olympics when the samba was introduced, I was amazed when the camera focused on a very young boy dancing the samba.  His footwork was remarkable, and from time to time, the camera focused on him would breakaway and pan the stadium to highlight various dancers, many of them doing very fast advanced steps.

I thought physical agility was required to do the dance, but the body movements seem to flow naturally once you learn to bounce and move the hips as one's weight is shifted. The dance steps look complex, but its easy to learn the basic steps.  I went to a web site teaching 'samba in 4 minutes'. 

Samba music is very fast, and it takes practice to do the steps fast.  Good samba dancers do the advanced steps and can twirl and strut without missing a beat.  I have no illusions about my becoming a good samba dancer.  I'll probably never get much further than the basics, but I'll have fun practicing.  And, who knows, maybe if anyone reading this is interested, they too can learn to samba from a YouTube.

No comments: