Friday, September 02, 2016

King Cobra

The other evening during the National News broadcast, a reporter told of an escaped King Cobra in Needville, Texas.  The 23 year old owner, who holds all the proper permits allowing him to keep venomous snakes, discovered it was missing about 7 in the morning.  He told authorities that he takes care to securely lock all the cages, and he doesn't know how the Cobra escaped. 

The venom from a single bite could kill an elephant, or 20 men.  A Dr. toxicologist in Houston, Texas was notified and an intense search for the Cobra began.  During the search, a Sheriff's  deputy shot and killed a  snake that turned out to be a Cottonmouth.  After 9 hours of searching, the Cobra was found and captured by a snake wrangler.

When this story aired, several of us started telling our own snake stories.  I do not like these slithery critters and make every effort never to come in contact with one.  At one point I would not even touch a magazine page if there was a picture of a snake on it.  When I was in high school, Biology was my favorite subject and I thought of becoming a Biology teacher, but I could never get pass the fact that I would have to be more knowledgeable about snakes....even having to touch one.

Years passed with my avoidance of same until I moved to Texas.  Then I came to the realization that I had to overcome my fear, at least to the point of not panicking at the sight of one.  Eventually I did reach a point where I only reacted with a moment of fright if I unexpectedly came across one.

At that time my parents and I lived in houses on either side of a long driveway.  On my parents side of the driveway were huge, ancient Oak trees.  On my side of the driveway were huge Pecan trees.  There was a footpath leading from my kitchen porch, crossing the driveway, to my parents kitchen porch.  The path was shaded by a long, upper branch of an Oak tree. 

From time to time we knew that snakes were in the trees after bird eggs when we heard birds screeching and flitting about as squirrels squawked.  One day we a snake that had staked out territory along the branch right above the pathway,  We could see it move in and out of a hollow hole in a side branch, but generally stretched out along the branch above the path. 

I had heard of snakes falling on people and I didn't like the idea of it possibly falling on me as I walked the pathway.  I telephoned the city hall where all the town officials had offices and asked for someone to come and shoot it.  They explained that it was illegal to shoot a gun within city limits, but they would see what they could do.  The next day one of the men that worked in the water department came with his gun and said he had been chosen to shoot the snake because he was known to be the best shot. 

He could see the head of the snake and said it would be a very difficult shot, but he'd try.  We all gathered around and were very quiet as he walked around to get the best view.  He said it would have to be shot on the first try because the snake would move back into the hole and he'd not get another chance.  When he finally aimed the gun, he just held the position for what seemed a long, long time.  We all held our breath, not daring to breath a sound.. Suddenly, there was an ear splitting gunshot and we saw the snake fall to the ground.  Afterward the shooter told us it had been an almost impossible shot, and that he was just lucky.  We knew he was being modest, but in truth, it was an exceptional accomplishment!  

No comments: