Saturday, November 05, 2016

Story Writing

Recently someone sent me information about the National Novel Writing Month, an annual internet-based creative writing project. It was suggested I look into it and write something. Its wonderful when someone thinks me capable of such accomplishments, but I know my own limitations. I love reading novels, and I read a lot of them, but writing one has never been on my agenda. I gave a derisive laugh and discounted the continuing suggestions. Finally, out of curiosity, I scrolled the internet on how to write a mystery. There were many pointers on how to make a mystery really mysterious, and I learned that writing the ending was the best way to begin. So, I wrote a sentence.

Day 1:
The sun was setting as she parked the car under the giant Sequoia at the side of the cabin.

She parked the car at the side of the cabin just as the sun was setting.

The sequoia at the side of the cabin shaded the car as she parked it.

She heaved a sigh of relief as she parked the car under the Sequoia tree.

She locked the car door, relieved to park before the sun set.

I kept changing the sentence, but couldn't come up with one that satisfied me, so I decided to let a few days go by before trying again.

Days later:
As she parked the car under the Sequoia, she noticed the vehicle following her slow down as it passed her driveway entrance, but it continued on.

That is about as far as my ability to write a mystery goes. I'll leave mystery writing to guys like Grisham.

No comments: