Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving

I have many happy memories of Thanksgiving, dating from my childhood days to the years when I took delight in planning and serving the family's Thanksgiving dinner at my house.  The menu always consisted of roast turkey with all the trimmings, mashed potatoes and gravy, two kinds of cranberries, relish and sauce, candied yams with red-hots and marshmallows, a choice of pie, pumpkin, apple or berry. There were vegetables galore along with numerous condiments and sparkling cider to wash it all down. 

Back in the days , when we lived on the asparagus farm, dinner was cooked on a big cast iron stove with water reservoirs on each side, a huge oven and a warming tray along the top.  There were four lids that could be opened when we added either coal or wood fuel, and there was a large flat grill for baking pancakes.  The oven was large enough to bake three cake layers at once or several loaves of bread plus a pan of cinnamon rolls.  The aroma of baking bread is one of life's pleasures and as children, we enjoyed the aroma several time a week when Mom made bread. 

As the years passed, the family spread across the country, but I was fortunate in having many members near enough to attend my turkey dinners.  I spent more time setting the table than I did baking the turkey and preparing the rest of the dinner.  I had a table with leaves that could turn it into a banquet table.  I liked to decorate it with a white cloth with matching napkins, my best set of dishes, sterling silverware and novel centerpieces. 

For the last several years I've shared the day with my son who lives nearby.  We have a traditional meal with choices of desserts and watch TV parades and games.  I look forward to the day and count my blessings.  I hope those reading this blog, will have a great day too.  Happy Thanksgiving!           

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The folks at the home send their best Turkey Day greetings ... we are all thankful for you and your wonderful stories and tales of life .. you're the bestest !