Monday, February 12, 2018

update on knitting project

Things are not going smoothly. I researched stitch patterns and knitted swatches of the patterns I liked best. I spent days learning how to knit a Saxon Braid; after knitting a swatch without errors, I was ready to start the main body of the afghan. I had already knitted the border, so all I had to do was select the number of stitches for each pattern across the width of the afghan.

I placed the Saxon Braid in the middle of the width with special stitches on each side to show it off. The patterns on each side were complex requiring counting and concentration. Even though I used pencil and paper to keep track, I often lost count and had to start over. I had started over numerous times by the time I got to row 5.

My son could tell I was getting stressed and reminded me that I had planned on making a church, not a cathedral. When the cathedral crashed for the umpteenth time, I decided to change some of the patterns, choosing simpler, but traditional ones.

I'm too far into this knitting project to give up, but keep tuned It might even turn out to be an Aran afghan that I will be proud of.


No comments: