Sunday, March 15, 2020

Empty grocery shelves

The following is loosely adapted from an old blues song.
 
  A nickel's worth of grease
A dime's worth of lard 
I'd buy some more, but
the times are too hard.
 
There's no reason to work
 so hard, when I can live
off the chickens in my
neighbor's yard.
 
Life as we have been living it is changing almost hour by hour.  Coronavirus has brought our lives to a screeching halt.  The only thing I can relate it to is the great depression I experienced as a child.  In those days, newspaper photos showed long lines of men on the streets of Chicago, all selling things like apples and razor blades
in the hopes that a passing person would have the few pennies it cost to buy something.
 
Now having money isn't as important as keeping one's distance from another human.  Who would have believed that such an event could overtake the lives of people around the globe.  One reads about the plague in the middle ages, the contagion of small pox,
the scare of polio, and currently the illness of measles and seasonal flu, but they aren't equivalent to this coronavirus.  
 
Of course I'm not an expert on these things.  I'm just a  person that gets info from the television  which is rather shallow at best and I apply it to what ever experience I've had with sick children and family members.  My imagination takes over and that's when I realize I really don't know what to expect while we wait for a vaccine.   
 
In the meantime, I'm just trying to stay healthy and hope the others I interact with do the same.  


No comments: