Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Memory of the Fair by Esther

[note: this story was written by my sister Esther]

It was a day that my sister had promised to take me to the fair. I had looked forward to going and the best part was my sister was going to make it a special day just for me. Adeline was going to treat me to an all day event. I was about five or maybe six years old. I was to see any and every thing there was to see at the fair. Having never been to one, she had told me what I might see and how the day was to go. She was waiting for me to finish my breakfast so we could be on our way.

Adeline had our lunch packed in her carrying sack and her book to read was in her pocket. She took my hand and off we started to town. We lived in the country. It was a long way to town. We walked down the gravel road to the main highway that would take us to the main street in town. It was a good day to walk. The sun was shining and the wind was just a gentle breeze. Adeline and I were laughing and having a good time hiking and playing tag as we went on our way to town. Adeline was always happy and she was telling me I needed to be a good girl and not give her a bit of trouble today. She said it was to be a special treat only for a good girl. So I promised to be a good girl and do just what she told me.

It was not long before we had other people walking to the fair with us. There was soon a crowd. Everyone was talking about what we would see at the fair and it was not long till we were there.

There were rides that I knew were not for me to even want to get on. The one I did like was like a a big round wheel. It was very tall. It was a Ferris wheel. Adeline was not sure if we could ride on it. She looked to see if she had enough money. Yes! She did and we got in line with the others who were waiting for the next ride. It was good to just watch as it went around and around. Just looking up as it went over and started down was exciting. We got on a seat and the man put the bar down and Adeline put her hands on the bar and I did my hands like hers. When the Ferris wheel started up, I began to get scared, it was not like I had thought it would be. Adeline was telling me not to be afraid, I was going to be fine. And she reminded me of my promise to be good. I really did hold on tight and made it till we got back on the ground. I did promise myself I would never do that again.

We made our way through all the fair and at noon we stopped at a picnic area. Adeline found a table and bench and we had the lunch she had in her carrying sack. We were really hungry and could have eaten another sandwich if she had had one. We sat there for a while. Adeline had her book out and was reading it. She always had a book with her to read. She loved her books for as long as I knew her. She was never without one handy to read if she had a minute or two. She finally put the book away and we started out toward home.

We had planned to walk back to the starting gate and then head home. She lead the way and I walked behind her. It was at the puppet show I stopped for a minute; then when I looked for her she was gone. I had lost her and I look all around me and she was no where to be seen. I was alone in the crowd and this really frightened me. I started to cry and it was not long till every one was looking for my sister. The last time I saw her, she was reading her book walking in front of me.

A nice man helped me to quit crying and he said he would see to it that Adeline would be with me and it would be alright. I just needed to wait and see. It was not my sister that came and got me, it was my father. One of the people who was looking for Adeline knew who I was and went to the telephone office where my father worked and he came to get me. I was so happy to see him. I cried and hugged him, I knew I was safe with him. I held his hand and would not let go. He walked with me to his company office and it wasn't long 'til Adeline was there and he told her to never let me out of her sight again. He did fuss at her and I felt so bad. I was not the good girl I had promised to be.

In the end, Adeline did give me a hug and made me promise to never stop when walking behind her. Which I did. She said “Sisters have to stay together.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Aunt tells a wonderful story. My Mother would be very proud of her little sister. Thanks you Esther for a story for all the family to enjoy

Dave

Anonymous said...

This reminded me of when I went to my first county fair when I was in High School. There was so much to see but I had no money for rides or the carnival games - so I went to the crafting house and looked at the quilts and then to the animal barn to see the sheep and goats. When it was time to leave, all my classmates had stuffed animals and cotten candy. But I felt I was the richer one, for having seen what the fair was really about.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and warm story - I like the moral of the tale... "sisters have to stay together' ... just great !!!

More stories please!!

BB

Anonymous said...

Truly a joy to read the story of my mother and her sister.

Anonymous said...

I do believe that Fair Esther did a wonderful story about the fair! WONDERFUL !