Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Sister Marion Elizabeth By Esther

[note: this story was written by my sister Esther]

Marion Elizabeth was the oldest of the children . She was always the one to baby sit us younger ones. She loved to teach and would show us how to do what she wanted done. Also, she taught us to make nice craft items and she loved to sing. After the chores were done and before bed time we would sing together.

I don’t remember how long it was that Mom and Dad were gone, but I was missing them. It seem like they should have been home and I looked every day for them to drive up into the drive way.

They left Jerry, Dick and me with Marion and Charles to take care of the farm and help with us three kids. We did help to feed the dog, chickens, gather the eggs and help in general with the chores. Chuck would supply the wood needed to cook and bake in the wood stove. Marion would do the cooking, cleaning and washing the clothes.

Marion would tell us what the plans were each day. She said if we did every thing she wanted done, she would bake us something good. And we understood she meant being good and doing what she wanted done. She cooked as good as Mom did.

Chuck liked it when we did the chores in a reasonable amount of time. We three did like to play and some times we did not get it done as soon as we should of but Chuck was never one to fuss. Most times, he would jump in and help us to finish the chores. Than he would take us to the back pasture to treat us to an apple from the tree. It was great to climb the tree, pick the one apple you could reach and sit on the branch and enjoy the ripe apple. Most of the time the apple was not all the way ripe but it was still good to eat.

Marion did the cooking and baking. She was as good at fixing the meals as Mom was. She would bake cakes and cookies and pies or most any desserts we three wanted. Meal times were good.

Chuck was also good at fixing food. He made a pumpkin spread to put on a slice of bread. It was his secret blend of spice and brown sugar, he would put butter on the bread, toast it in the oven and then added the pumpkin. We three loved it.

When Marion needed someone to run to get her something from the cellar she would call one of us three to go get it for her and the three of us went after it. Then we would know what was going to be for the next meal.

Mom had been gone for some time and I kept asking Marion, “Is Mom coming home today”? And she would tell me, “Maybe”. She would tell me to watch and see if I could see them coming up the drive way. Marion knew I was missing Mom and she told me to try to understand that Mom was needed there with Dad, more than I needed her and if I was patient she would let me wear her gold coin that was on a very thin gold chain. And I could make a wish on it but it was not a magic coin, it was only to be a wish. I wore her gold coin and it was a very special favor she let me wear it.

I did wish Mom and Dad would come home now. Today. It was almost supper time and I was sitting out in the drive way when Marion called us to supper. As I got up to go in I looked back and there was the car turning into our driveway and it was Mom. They were home.

We had a great supper. I was content. And Grandpa was well and so was Grandma. Every one was happy to have our Parents home, where life went on in a normal way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory! When I was not with them, I remember wishing for my Mom or Grandma and Grandpa to come home too. It was always so wonderful to have them appear and hug me and take me home. There were wonderful meals with family and love was never in short supply! Thanks for remembering the love!

Kim

Anonymous said...

What a delightful story ... we all miss someone at some time ... and you capture the anxiety and hopefullness of 'return' so well ... I feel like I was there too ... and I can feel the happiness when everyone comes back and things go 'normal' again. WONDERFUL !!

Oh - and please save me some of that pumpkin bread spread ... thats a wonderful trick ... never heard of that before ... but it sounds delicious !! I promise I'm going to be on my best behavior -- just to get a taste!

You tell such good stories - PLEASE more more more !!

signed - A Secret Admirer !!