Wednesday, July 06, 2011

So How Does YOUR Garden Grow?

A. Non

We actually got one and a half inches of rain about 20 days ago... so that leaves us only 26 inches below normal rain fall to date this year – and with the irony of so much water and flooding in the mid-west. Alas, the drought continues here in the far too sunny south.

Garden Claw
I accidentally found a solution to preparing our over rock hard and baked plot of soil. I was at the swap meet when I espied and bought a used, but 'as new', Garden Claw.

This is the spiffy tool you see on the late night info-mercials, where you stab the claw in into the cement like ground, twist the waist high handles, and – voila – it 'easily' breaks up the soil into perfect garden loam ... like vertical roto-tilling. This looks so easy on the TV.

Boy, they sure saw seen me coming', 'cause the price was so cheap I couldn't refuse to buy it. In spite of that however, I find – too late - this alleged tool is an implement of torture... probably left from the inquisition – it's a back breaker! I can see why it was in virtually 'new' condition!

So, I write this whilst nursing a busted back, having 'tilled' a total of about 8.4 square inches of caliche strength hard-pan drought baked soil. The results?

There is nothing new to report or update – except the medical plan!

Do not despair, as we retain our hopes and aspirations to grow something yet! We have not abandoned the 'concept' of a garden, it's just that it's so much better to write about, than to actually do. Sometimes a garden is better than it sounds, but sometimes not!

Oh, it's the 4th of July, and the corn is knee high – not here, but someplace I'm sure!

Happy Independence Day y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had one of those things. The yard man refused to use it. My brother refused to use it. I couldn't use it. Wonder if the one you bought is the one I took to the swap meet?