Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sewing Machine Woes Update

My trials and tribulations with my sewing machine continues.

I anticipated sewing with my new $80 machine with the re-designed spool spindle sans frustration, but it wasn't long before I was spending more time 'fixing' the machine to sew than I actually sewed.

The project of sewing diamonds together to form 8 pointed stars should have gone smoothly, but I had to re- thread the machine as each diamond was joined.

At first, I thought adjusting the various dials according to the manual was the solution, but, alas, that was not the answer. Perhaps a burr on an internal casting either cut or broke the thread every time I re-positioned a diamond to sew on another.

What to do Percy? What to do?

I liked the machine and thought an exchange at the store might be in order. What were the odds of an identical machine having the same problem? While pondering this question, a friend, who restores and sells Singer Featherlight machines, offered to sell me a Singer 301A for a reasonable price.

No need to ask What to do, Percy? What to do? Before he could change his mind, I accepted his offer.

This machine is the best sewing machine ever made and I”m lucky to have one. It only sews a straight seam, no zig zag stitches and it lacks an automatic needle threader, but for my quilting purposes I couldn't ask for a better machine.

I'll find out if my sewing woes are over when I get the machine and start sewing.


Singer 301a Sewing Machine
Singer 301a Sewing Machine


No comments: