Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sewing Machine Woes

My sewing machine broke, but I didn't realize it was broken. I thought a thread jam was the reason it wouldn't sew, but after cleaning the bobbin race, it was obvious something was wrong, possibly broken.

I hoped what ever the cause, it could be repaired, but the clerk at the repair shop said that labor and the replacement part would cost more than a new sewing machine and suggested I just buy another machine.

A new machine similar to my broken one was $74 at Walmart and the bill at the repair shop would have been $100. The decision to buy new was a no brainer.

After diligently comparing the stats of the various machines, I chose a later model of the same brand as my old one, and was a happy camper as I looked forward to working on my latest sewing project.

New features in design promised ease of sewing, but the 'updated' changes in the design of the bobbin race were too radical for me. It was frustrating and I longed for the old style. After researching sewing machines online, I found one, but it too had 'updated' the spindle for holding a spool of thread.

I finally resigned myself to acceptance of the world wide penchant for changing what works to what 'modern' technology calls progress. I returned the $74 sewing machine and purchased the $80 model I had seen on the net.

I'm back sewing on my project, and so far, so good. The sewing is going smoothly and the machine is enough like my favorite old fashioned style that I can cope with the spool holder as needed. I don't see the reason for having changed it, but I suppose beginner seamstresses will think it the best style, never having known the best, original design that never failed until some bright person thought a change was necessary.


Sewing Machine Bobbins
Sewing Machine Bobbins

 

No comments: