Saturday, May 21, 2016

Neurobics

One of the most fascinating books that I've read lately is Keep Your Brain Alive written by two authors, Lawrence C Katz and Manning Rubin. They say that when we occasionally change the way we perform daily routines, we create Neurobics which is an additional way of nourishing the brain. The authors describes in detail how memory cells are created and stored in various area of the brain, and how Neurobics help create memories. Unlike logic puzzles and memory tests, Neurobics uses the senses of touch, smell, hearing, spacial memory and emotional sense.

Representations of events, people and places are associations and are stored in many areas of the brain. Incorporating Neurobics into ones life is not a quick fix, but will give your brain a good workout by making new associations and activating circuits that increase and strengthen associative cells that prevent mental decline.

There are three conditions required for creating Neurobics.
  1. involve one or more of the senses in a novel way.
  2. break routine activity in unexpected and non-trivial ways.
  3. engage your attention.

The book includes numerous ways that are easy to practice and that do not entail lots of time.

The following are some of the suggestions.
  • Change your writing hand
  • Change your olfactory association of waking to coffee by keeping a container of favorite aromas bedside for a week such as vanilla, peppermint or rosemary
  • Shower with your eyes closed using tactile associations
  • Read out loud or listen to someone reading
  • Brush your teeth with your non-dominate hand
  • Read upside down
  • Learn Braille
  • Start a new hobby
  • Keep a cup of coins in the car cup holder. At stop lights determine denomination by feel alone
  • Grow a garden
  • With eyes closed using spacial memory, unlock the car door, sit and buckle the seat belt, insert the ignition key and locate the radio and windshield wipers

These ideas sound simplistic, but having had personal experience of being forced to practice several of them due to temporary physical limitations over the last several years, I found them surprisingly difficult.

A year ago I broke my right wrist and had to use my left hand to write letters to my sister, Esther. She had stopped using her computer and due to her profound hearing loss, we exchanged letters 2 or 3 times a week. I actually got very good at writing with my left hand. Presently I'm being forced to NOT use my left thumb due to surgery. The Dr. had zapped a spot of skin cancer on the knuckle just below the thumb nail. Because it became infected, the Dr. removed the nail. It's almost well, but my thumb is extremely sensitive and I've had to use my fingers in a way to hold things. I no longer look like I'm trying to hitch a ride, and my thumb is almost well enough so that I can start knitting again.

Now I practice reading upside down when I'm in a waiting room with magazines. So far I've only read magazine advertisements, but one of these days I'll might try reading a regular book.

No comments: