Sunday, November 01, 2009

At the Lake Part 8 - Life on the Lake

[note: This is an 8 part story written by my sister Esther.]

Vernon would watch most sport programs on the TV. He loved to watch all the football games and baseball was right up there too. I wanted to see the sewing and quilting and craft programs. Since I had lost much of my hearing, I did not watch too much TV. Instead I would sew on quilt blocks and just enjoyed a quiet evening working on the different patterns. My Mom got me started on sewing quilt tops. She had some blocks that my Dad’s Mother made and she wanted me to assemble them into a quilt top so she could finish sewing the quilt. I never knew I would enjoy sewing them but ever since I have made that pattern my favorite. I have made at least a dozen of them.

The biggest surprise of all was when my sister Adeline Marie and Larry came to visit and spend several days with us. We had no idea they were coming, so it was out of the blue when they arrived one evening. Thank goodness I had planned a nice supper that night. We forgot everything and just talked and hugged and never a thought about the food cooking on the stove until we started to smell smoke that said “burnt to a crisp”. The pot was so black, it had to be taken out of the house. I was so upset about the burnt carrots. Then Larry asked if I was cooking them just for him and then he said he did not really like carrots, so I did feel better. I really know Larry knew what to say to help me over a red face trip. He was a good brother in law.

Vernon and I had good years on the acreage in Many, Louisiana. We gained more grandchildren and they all were a blessing to us. Life was so good and we could not have wanted more. I can only say life with love is good and the company makes for better times.


bird over the lake

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful set of stories! I hope you will continue to share some of your life and thoughts with all of us. You have a great gift in the way you write and I look forward to more!

Kim

Anonymous said...

I agree with what she said !! ... this story was wonderful ... and every word picture a gem! You have a gift, and I hope you will continue sharing with us.

Much love from 'ol you know who' :)

Anonymous said...

The contenment you and your husband shared when you lived at the lake is the kind we all strive for. I have really enjoyed reading about your lake and the sunsets. Thanks for the recipes.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Esther, Thanks you for sharing these wonderful stories. I especially love to hear the ones about My Mother Adeline and my Dad Larry. Since they have been gone now for all these years, it brings back such joy to my heart. I regret not getting to meet Uncle Vernon. He sounded like such a wonderful man.