Monday, November 09, 2009

Hiawatha

By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
...

Those lines came to mind the other day when I was discussing poetry with my sister, Esther. I surprised myself remembering the lines, which came to me easily, but that was all I could remember. It was required reading in high school English as was Gray’s Elegy, Evangeline, The Ancient Mariner and other poems.

Out of curiosity I googled for Hiawatha and decided to read it again. I have a greater appreciation of Longfellow’s inventiveness now than I probably had in school. The descriptive imagery of nature is a pleasure to read and the colors shine thru vividly. I like the sing-song quality of the lines and read them out loud to myself.

Taking time to read a few lines of Hiawatha when the constant repetitious news coverage of war and economic woes stress one to the max, is therapy beyond price.





About: The Song of Hiawatha
Downloadable Book: The Song of Hiawatha
Audio Book: The Song of Hiawatha

No comments: