Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Winter

Cold winter days and hard freeze nights are here while December days count down the last of 2010. Orion, a winter constellation in the northern hemisphere, was announced back in November when Cassiopeia, (the Queen) alerted Orion's arrival as it came into view rotating around Polaris, (the North Star).

Diagram of Orion Constellation
The Orion constellation, called the Hunter from Greek mythology, is the most conspicuous and most easily recognizable in the night sky by the three bright stars known as Orion's Belt, and the three smaller stars underneath called the Sword.

Depending on which hemisphere Orion is seen, the Belt goes by other names such as the Three Sisters, the Three Marys, the Magi, or the Three Kings.  The Belt and Sword of Orion has been adapted as the shoulder patch insignia of the 27th Infantry Division of the United States Army thru both world wars as a pun on the Division's first Commander, John F O'Ryan's name. In Lord of the Rings, the elves called Orion, 'Menelvagor'. Orion is also the name used for three US Navy ships.

Orion Nebula
Years ago when I was in high school, one of the teachers would hold a star gazing session on a winter night and tell us about the various stars and how to recognize them. Orion's Belt is just about the only thing I can truthfully say I know it when I see it. I know the big dipper of course and the North star but most of my knowledge about the night sky comes from information gleaned from the internet or science programs on television, and I wonder if the Magi of Christmas stories and songs refer to stars and not three wise men traveling the desert.

Detail of Orion's Belt

[Editor's addition: Many years ago I wrote a poem about this constellation.]

Where ever I go,
I look in the sky,
And the first thing I see is Orion.

KimB

No comments: