Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Blanket

MrsB with Knitted
Log Cabin Blanket
I finally finished knitting the queen size blanket my daughter wanted. There were trials and tribulations along the way but I'm proud to say I can now be listed among those who have knitted a log cabin blanket.

Knitting the 16 squares that made up the star design was a mile stone and I was pleased with the achievement, but when I finished sewing them together, I was shocked to discover that the star design was off kilter!

I checked and rechecked the pattern. Each square was knitted properly with the correct number and color of logs so why in the world wasn't the star layout correct? My knitted squares looked like the photo in the book. It was a major quandary to say the least.

After sewing the 16 squares together, the blanket was nearly finished, needing only a narrow border to be queen size, so the only thing to do was finish knitting it. Regardless of the design, the blanket would be as warm as it would have been if the star had been correct.

As I knitted the border I discovered in my rush to finish the blanket that I had knitted one corner a fraction too long and again, I realized the error was beyond repair, so I gathered the stitches creating a tiny ruffled corner.

I also came up with the idea of knitting little patches to sew on top of the 4 intersections of the center squares making the star design more prominent. It helped. Besides, the colors were pretty.

I wrote a poem to go with the blanket and I think she likes both.


MrsB's Knitted Log Cabin Blanket

No comments: