Wednesday, November 02, 2011

The Recipe Box: Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese
from the recipe box of MrsB

Someone told me Thomas Jefferson had a pasta machine and made his own macaroni. I Googled for more information and discovered that it was true. He also served it at state dinners when he was president.

Macaroni and cheese has long been an American favorite and there are many ways of preparing and serving it. It was one of my childhood favorites and when my sister and I reminisce over our family recipes, we always mention mac and cheese.

It is still one of my favorites but I am a lazy cook these days and make something I call 'mac and cheese' because that's what it is. Just cooked macaroni topped with a slab of cheddar cheese and quickly heated in the microwave. I am an expert at timing the microwave so the cheese is not melted but only softened enough to mix.

Mom always baked the macaroni with milk and diced cheese but it's often served with a rich cheesy sauce. Fabulous variations of macaroni and cheese can be found on the internet and it seems everyone has their special twist on the old tried and true.

Browsing recipes on the internet can be quite enjoyable since many are demonstrated on YouTube. The following is an excellent YouTube video address from foodwishes.com showing steps to each stage of a mac and cheese recipe.
Foodwishes.com
Thomas Jefferson Style
Mac and Cheese
1 lb elbow macaroni
3-4 cups of grated sharp Cheddar cheese, or whatever
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs plus 1 tbsp butter

No comments: